[CentOS] What is the best strategy for updating CentOS from 4 to 5?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Aug 18 18:12:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Keith Roberts wrote:

> To: Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de>
> From: Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] What is the best strategy for updating CentOS from 4 to
>     5?
>
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Rainer Traut wrote:

>> From: Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de>
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] What is the best strategy for updating CentOS from 4
>>     5?
>>
>> Am 31.07.2010 14:47, schrieb Keith Roberts:
>>>
>>> I have written a set of bash scripts to automate doing a
>>> fresh installation of Centos 5.5 They were originally
>>> written for Fedora 12, and have just finished doing a clean
>>> installation run using them to install Centos 5.5 on my
>>> laptop.
>>>
>>> I went from F8 to F12 with these scripts, with no real
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Anybody interested in a copy of them - they will be BSD or
>>> similar license ?
>>
>> Yes, I'm interested much.
>>
>> Gruß,
>> Rainer
>
> OK. I'll try and get them onto my website ASAP. The user documentation needs
> looking at first.

Here's the link to my AutoLinuxInstaller scripts for Centos
5.5, including some docs.

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/auto-linux-installer.php

Best approach is to test them out on a spare machine first -
just to get to know how they work.

You will need to customize the stage1-configure-system.bsh
master script (and some scripts this calls) for the machine
you would like to use these scripts on. That only needs
to be done once per machine. And once that's done you can
almost completely automate the next installation.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net