[CentOS] Load at 5, no CPU I/O or swap in use

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 19:19:59 UTC 2010

On 8/20/2010 2:03 PM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 20 August 2010 19:58, Hakan Koseoglu<hakan at koseoglu.org>  wrote:
>> That's a high load average. What's top/nmon reporting?
> Hum, should have said "high load average for an idle(ish) server".
> Friday evening + beer + CentOS list = not a good idea.

'top' should show the busy-ish processes if they are long-running.  You
might be able to strace them to see what they are doing.   Or something
might be spawning off a bunch of short-lived processes.  Those are
harder to track down but you can tell if that's the case by a fast
turnover in process ids.  And you might catch one with a ps and find
it's parent.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com