[CentOS] CentOS or other Linux Internet Router/Gateway

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 00:11:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> Your Linksys router IS a simple 32-bit computer running Linux (typicall
> an ARM processor, not really any faster than a PIII, probably slower
> actually). A PIII has more than enough processing power to function as a
> router, DNS, and DHCP server.  And probably as a proxy server too.  The
> proxy server's limitations would mostly be a matter of fast enough disk
> access, partitularly if it was set up as a caching proxy server.

For what its worth, most Linksys routers these days run VxWorks, not
an embedded Linux.  (Apparently they can put 8MB or so less RAM in
them with VxWorks.)

Another option you could try is to set up your own DNS server (if you
install your own firmware onto that Linksys router you can probably do
this.)  Then, you can whitelist specific DNS domains, e.g. google.com,
wikipedia.org, etc.  (I won't even suggest you try to come up with a
comprehensive list of domains to blacklist.)  Everything else can be
redirected to 127.0.0.1.  The advantage of this is its simpler and
very powerful.  The downside is you'll be blocking access to a fair
number of legitimate sites (but probably not as many as you'd think.)