[CentOS] Slow domain resolution problem

Gabriel Tabares

gabriel.tabares at roboreus.com
Mon Aug 23 12:12:04 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I've just joine the list as I am having an issue with our CentOS servers.

The domain resolution is extremely slow from the application but doing
an nslookup gives an immediate response. All the applications have the
same issue, as do all the servers.

I have been looking for the solution all over the web and all I have
found are references to disabling ipv6.
- By setting enable_ipv6 = no in /etc/sysconfig/network, which is
already done on all the machines.
- By blacklisting the ip6 module, which is not an option as it is used
by the bonding module. Just for the sake of it, I tried it and, as
expected, the bonding module did not come back up.

If bad comes to worse, I could set up host entries for the main machines
in /etc/hosts, but I really am trying to avoid that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gabriel Tabares