[CentOS] i can't install centos on my poweredge 2950

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Aug 23 13:44:08 UTC 2010

Eric Doutreleau wrote:

> i m trying to install centos5 on my poweredge 2950 with no luck.
> the raid controler is LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 1078 (rev 04)
>
> indeed all is going fine during the installation but when i reboot the
> server panic
>
> the first error i got is this one
> error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: block device required
>
> it seems that it can't find the /dev/root devices.
>
> but when i boot in rescue mode the / partition is found without any
> problem. i can chroot in it

Does the PERC controller know that the drive you want to boot off of is
bootable? Have you <ctrl-r>'d into the controller before boot, and then
gone to control (there's virtual disks, PD, and the third thing, I forget
exactly what it's called, but I'll be able to tell you later today), and
down on the bottom, just to the right of center, it displays the bootable
drive. Though it doesn't *look* like it, if you tab down there and down
arrow, it will display choices....

Oh, and you did note that no matter how you set it up, it *ALWAYS* wants
slots 2 & 3 to be RAID group 0, and the drives in slots 0 and 1 to be
group 2?

Oh, yes, and it also *REFUSES* to display any drive that's not raided,
even if you want your boot and root on a drive that's not raided....

I decided Friday that this *thing* was designed and signed off on by
two-toothed idiots with IQs around 57, decended from generations of the
same who couldn't manage to run a farm, whose ancestors came to the US by
selling themselves as indentured servants, who once they were here were
*fired* because they were too stupid to follow directions....

         mark "would you like me to *really* tell you how I feel about them?"