[CentOS] CentOS or other Linux Internet Router/Gateway

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Aug 23 21:18:13 UTC 2010

Ron Blizzard wrote:
> Thanks everyone. "Firewall" was the term I was having trouble coming
> up with. Now I'm overwhelmed with all the choices. I think, for
> someone as "green" (as in "inexperienced") as I am, something like
> IPCop might be an easy place to start. I'll experiment with a Pentium
> III I have, but will probably work towards some kind of fanless,,
> small computer (as suggested by another poster). I'm not sure the BSD
> firewalls will work for me (at this point) because I've got a couple
> Linux add-ins I'm thinking of using.

If you're setting up a normal machine to be your firewall/router, run
Bastille Linux. It's not a distro, but a hardening system. I ran it for
about 10 years on RH, and to the best of my knowledge, never had an
intrusion, while being on broadband the whole time.

Of course, file under the heading of professional paranoia, I also had
*no* compilers, or X, or pretty much anything on that box.

> Just to confirm. The Linksys wireless router can become a wireless
> switch with the firewall and router capabilities disabled. (This is a
> Linux version, BTW, so I'm also going to look into the firmware
> modifications, but I doubt I can load my programs there and am a
> little nervous about bricking the router).

Which Linksys?

      mark, who needs to get something to put between the DSL modem and
his box