[CentOS] Updates offered annoyance

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Aug 25 13:24:18 UTC 2010

> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:14:02PM +0200, Aleksandar Stoisavljevic wrote:
> >
> > This is ok when I have good internet speed (@work) but when I am home, this
> > update takes a lot of time.
>
> 	Welcome to life on the internet.
>
> > I guess I can skip updates but I wasn't experiencing such annoyance with
> > CentOS 5.4. My gues is that when
> > CentOS 5.4 was finalized there is no updates to that DVD.
>
> 	Why in the world would you opt to skip updates?  How is updating
> 	your system an annoyance?
>
> 	5.X are just point-in-time snapshots of CentOS 5 and all patches
> 	leading up to the time that 5.X was released.  Updates are a
> 	continuing process that will occur for the lifetime of the
> 	release.
>
> > Is there any suggestions ?
>
> 	Yes, bite the bullet and update.

The main problem is that yum is NOT well written to deal with a slow
and *unreliable* dial-up interface -- it in fact behaves extremly
poorly when used with dial-up (and no, it is just not possible for me
to get a better internet connection at home -- dialup is *all* that is
available where I live).  It assumes that ANY network problems are due
to a busy server and it switches to another server (and in the case of
metadata, starts the download from the beginning!).  *I* often find it
better to use wget to snarf the repo metadata.  I *also* use my laptop
to *manually* download (using wget) the packages for my desktop machine
(the two machines are different archs: the desktop is x86_64 and the
laptop is a i686).

Oh, and I remove up-to-date and yum's update deamon.  Both are a waste
of time.  (I also removed Open Office, since it is too big to maintain
on a dial-up system, esp. since *I* don't ever do 'word processing'.) I
manually run 'yum check-update' from time to time (when is the centos
updates digest going to resume on this list?).

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration