[CentOS] Slow domain resolution problem

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Aug 25 13:47:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Gabriel Tabares wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Gabriel Tabares <gabriel.tabares at roboreus.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Slow domain resolution problem
>
> On 23/08/2010 21:25, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Gabriel Tabares wrote:
>>

>>> To: centos at centos.org
>>> From: Gabriel Tabares<gabriel.tabares at roboreus.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Slow domain resolution problem

>>> My resolv.conf is:
>>>
>>> search mydomain.com
>>> nameserver 10.3.2.2
>>>
>>> The hostname of the machines is set to a FQDN server.mydomain.com.
>>>
>>> The time it takes for the queries does not change whether we use the
>>> FQDN or just the hostname.
>>>
>> Try this in your /etc/reolv.conf
>>
>> # Eclipse ISP
>> nameserver 212.104.130.9
>> nameserver 212.104.130.65
>>
>> # OpenDNS
>> nameserver 208.67.222.222
>> nameserver 208.67.220.220
>>

> Keith, the issue happens resolving internal IP addresses. The servers do
> not have DNS access to the outside world, so using this would mean that
> nothing is resolved ;)

OK. IIRC did I see a domain name listed in your resolv.conf
file? If so, would this not cause some sort of
chicken-and-egg problem - ie what comes first?

Personally I stick with static IP addresses in my
resolv.conf, like listed about.

Depending on how many machines you have on your LAN, would
it be feasable to hard-code the domain -> IP addresses for
those machines directly into the /etc/hosts file? That way
you would not need any DNS on your LAN.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: