[CentOS] Set default file/dir permissions?

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 16:17:05 UTC 2010

On Thursday 26 August 2010 11:56:41 Tim Nelson wrote:
> ACL's do indeed look like the method I'd prefer. Are ACL's part of the
> filesystem (dependent on ext{2,3,4} etc?) or are they part of the
> file/inode? My primary reason for asking is I'd like to know if when
> backing up this data, will the ACL's be included in the backup or will
> they be lost?

Yes, they are part of the filesystem's extended attributes and you are right:
you need to make sure the tools you use to backup/restore are "aware" of these
extended attributes.  AFAIK, the "tar" command on CentOS 5 is not aware of
these and you need to use one called "star". Check that one.

http://tinyurl.com/2wjytjx

You could still use your backup program or the regular tar command along with
"getfacl -R" to create a text dump of all the permissions (so that you can
easily reapply them when you untar/restore on the destination filesystem).

HTH,
Jorge