[CentOS] Screensaver timer failure

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 26 21:49:20 UTC 2010

On 08/26/2010 01:06 PM, Mark informed us:

> After yet another test yesterday where I just left the machine idle
> for over 3 hours and the screensaver did not activate, I concluded
> that mplayer was not part of the problem and rebooted.
>
> Screensaver now works just fine (same kernel, with or without mplayer
> running, 10 minutes or 2 hours), so I'm completely lost as to why it
> failed.
>
> I tried looking through the .gnome and .gnome2 files for a clue, but
> there's nothing particularly informative in them, so I'm wondering
> where the screensaver settings are kept, etc.  I'd rather not search
> every file on my system (some 800GB worth - ick!).
>
> Google was not particularly informative on this subject, either,
> although I did find out how to make my own slideshow....
>
> Mark
> _____
Reading between the lines, I conclude that you're running a gnome desktop.
F.Y.I., I have seen that failure to activate the screensaver, running
KDE 3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1 on kernel 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5PAE.  Maybe you
haven't tried it from this angle but I'm a hard-headed old fart and
still boot into run level 3, log in and issue startx.  All I do to
restore the screensaver function is shut down X and startx. This
straightens out the screensaver just fine. In addition to being much
quicker than rebooting, it has the added advantage of not disturbing
services, cron jobs, etc.
I don't worry too much about the screensaver anyhow since I started
using this LCD monitor. I understand there ain't no fleecy li'l
phosphors to worry about no mo'.