[CentOS] slightly OT: dban

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 17:27:49 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 09:17 -0700, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> Given that modern hard drives can remap damaged sectors automatically,
> it is quite possible for an 'erased' drive to still have data on it that
> can't be removed by any software based erasure because it can't be
> accessed by the OS.
---
After SET MAX ADDRESS 0x8000 Data can be gotten
After SET MAX ADDRESS EXT 0x8500 Data can be gotten again
After the drive is restored to factory reset it can NOT.

*GRIN* take a Sledge Hammer to it.
Dban at once did not support HPA nor DCO it still may not.

John

Yaa the remapping is done through SMART and is not reliable in data
recovery either.

Yaa I can still get the data through the OS Layer, BTW Benjamin