[CentOS] cfengine vs. puppet

David david at adurotec.com
Fri Aug 27 20:10:03 UTC 2010

I haven't seen much mentioned about puppet and though I am not a puppet
master (yet) and am really just now getting into using it, I will
provide my reason for selecting puppet.

Not having much experience with configuration management tools and after
seeing a relatively new service it made sense for me to investigate
puppet, thinking that puppet might have learned from the short comings
that plagued earlier tools.  I liked the large amount of active
development that was happening with the project and after I caught Luke
Kanies the original author of puppet on an episode of TLLTS discussing
it my interest was peeked even further.

It has the ability to integrate with cobbler; something I do currently
use, though I haven't gotten that far yet, and even though I am sure
other configuration management services could do this as well, the
mention of puppet on the cobbler website and documentation on how to use
the two together reinforced my continued efforts to explore it.

I am not familiar with cfengine, though I have read some high level
discussions regarding it, so I imagine that it supports SSL, but I
really liked the fact that puppet supports SSL out of the box with no
configuration required.

I installed the puppet server on a Fedora 13 box (I tend to install
actively developed services on Fedora), I will be managing CentOS 5.5
and it was installed and up and running in less then 5 min.  Installing
the puppet client on my CentOS boxes was even quicker.

I suppose some dislike having to learn the ruby syntax that is required
for the puppet configuration files, but like any other new venture it is
what it is, you just have to learn it.

The documentation on the puppet labs website is decent and has helped me
through several configurations I have needed, this plus the few things I
mentioned have me content with my decision to use puppet to manage my
environment.

Hope this helps a little.
David