[CentOS] Slow domain resolution problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 17:55:29 UTC 2010

On 8/28/10 9:23 AM, Gabriel Tabares wrote:
>    On 25/08/2010 17:44, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com>   wrote:
>>> On 8/23/2010 10:08 AM, Gabriel Tabares wrote:
>>>
>>> Some servers do, some don't.
>> Have you tried google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 IP and one more IP I can't
>> recollect exactly
>>
> External DNS is not available as the servers are firewalled from the
> outside. When I open DNS access to the outside, the issue does not seem
> to appear.

That means something is looking up names in domains or addresses in reverse
zones that your private server isn't answering.  And that the attempts to
contact the outside servers aren't being quickly answered by an ICMP 'no route'
or 'administratively denied' response from your router or firewall - so you wait
for the timeout.  All of these can be fixed.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com