[CentOS] pam changes - service restart reqd?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Aug 30 19:39:32 UTC 2010

> Carlos S wrote:
> > Changed system-auth config to use LDAP.
> >
> > The sshd config is configured to use PAM. I am not sure whether it
> > load that file at daemon start or refers to it every time a login
> > attempt with password is made.
> >
> > When would it be requiring restart in general?
> >
> I think you need to restart sshd.

No.  You only need to restart sshd when you change /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
Changing PAM to use LDAP does not affect the *running* sshd process(s).
sshd consults PAM at each login time.  PAM then loads in its LDAP
module, etc. as needed.  Oh, don't forget: /etc/nsswitch.conf needs to
be updated and /etc/ldap.conf needs to be properly setup.