[CentOS] Centos 5.5, not booting latest kernel but older one instead

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Aug 31 08:02:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, Keith Roberts wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, fred smith wrote:
>
>> To: centos at centos.org
>> From: fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
>> Subject: [CentOS] Centos 5.5, not booting latest kernel but older one instead

snip

>> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
>> #
>> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file

>> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
  #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
  #          root (hd0,0)
  #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  #          initrd /initrd-version.img
>> #boot=/dev/md0

So anaconda is reporting there is a seperate boot partition,
on the md0 RAID array?

It's possible that GRUB is set up to boot from this seperate
boot partition that is unmounted, and is reading the
grub.conf from there?

While you somehow also have a /boot/grub directory with GRUB
and grub.conf installed there as well?

I would mount the /boot partition on md0 and have a poke
round there - see if you have another GRUB and grub.conf
installed there that is being used?

If so, add another dummy entry to that, telling you where
that grub.conf file is, for diagnostics at boot time.

As mentioned by someone else, you really need hiddenmenu to
be commented out, so you can see where GRUB is getting it's
grub.conf file from.

Kind Regards,

Keith