[CentOS] System beeps in kernel 2.6.18-194

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Tue Aug 31 14:14:56 UTC 2010

On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com> wrote:

>>> You can find kernel changelog diffs here (maintaind by Alan
>>> Bartlett):
>>>
>>> http://www.centos.toracat.org/ajb/kernel-clog-diff/
>>
>> Is there any place that I can find RPM or SRPM packages for the
>> kernels between 18-164 and 18-194 that are listed in this kernel
>> log?  It would really help narrow down the problem if I could just
>> build each kernel version and test it; then at least I'd only have
>> one set of differences to go through rather than 30.
>

> Having read the kernel log diff list, and searched it for items
> related to "sound", I'm really suspicious of the following listed
> change:
>
> * Mon Dec 21 2009 Jarod Wilson <jarod at redhat.com> [2.6.18-183.el5]
> [...]
> < - [sound] alsa hda driver update for rhel5.5 (Jaroslav Kysela)
> [525390]

Seeing this reminded me of a sound problem I had with the 194 kernel.
I did a kernel rebuild minus the patch. Found that I needed to edit
the modprobe.conf file and explictly define the order for the sound
cards. For some reason prior kernels were happy with just one index=0
line for my intel device. With later kernel I needed to also add an
entry for another sound device I didn't know I had and define it as
index=1.
HTH