[CentOS] Automounter problem in C5.5?

Tue Aug 10 15:19:26 UTC 2010
Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com>

Last night I was having some bizarre problems with my USB ports.  I
couldn't access one of my scanners, and when I started moving plugs
around, it seemed as though I lost more peripherals.  For some reason,
I did NOT lose the laser printer, but my one scanner and my
scan/fax/printer disappeared and wouldn't come back.

I figured it might be the automounter, so I tried plugging in a USB
flash drive, and it did not get mounted either.

I rebooted and the problem disappeared (duh).

Questions:

1) I'm suspected this was an automounter failure - is that the most
likely culprit?

2) How do I restart the automounter when it dies, or can I?  I've hit
this issue before once or twice and only rebooting seems to make it
right again.

Thanks.

Mark