[CentOS] Best location in filesystem to have a samba share

Wed Aug 25 13:38:26 UTC 2010
Kevin Thorpe <kevin at pibenchmark.com>

  On 25/08/2010 03:03, David McGuffey wrote:
> Everyone in the family has a digital camera or cell phone and they seem
> to be leaving picture files all over their home folders, and laptops
> with no sense of year/month/day taken or what they are about.
>
> Looking to consolidate all the family pics in one location on a samba
> share on the primary workstation that happens to have 2TB of mirrored
> storage.
There's lots of variations on this - as per usual Unix descended systems
have a million
ways to skin a cat.

Personally I prefer everything users side to be in one place so I put it
all in /home. I even
move mysql databases and such to there so I know that:
/etc - is all my configuration
/home - is all my data
/ - is installation stuff

If you have a lot of servers then it helps keep things straight. Besides
I try and use an old
smaller drive as a system drive and a new huge one as /home. If the box
dies all you have
to do is grab /home and stick it in another box without worrying what
you've left behind in
/opt or /var or /srv