[CentOS] do i need a dedicated ip address for https?

Sat Dec 25 07:25:59 UTC 2010
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Thursday, December 23, 2010 07:10:36 am Ross Walker wrote:
> As long as the forward DNS resolves to the common name the cert will be
> accepted and you can have multiple host names resolve to the same IP.

There's also the possibility that you can use multiple subdomains. Instead of

https://foo.com
https://bar.com

You might use

https://foo.yourdomain.com
https://bar.yourdomain.com

This involves the use of a wildcard subdomain certificate, which any/all of the
major Certificate vendors provide. I've been doing this for hundreds of
customers by domain name and it works with basically all clients all the time.
(I've had ZERO issues from this) It's a tad more expensive than a "normal" SSL
certificate, but it's dramatically cheaper than buying a separate SSL
certificate for each client, and reduces certificate administration to a SINGLE
httpd.conf entry. (if your application is structured thusly)

believed to be clean.