[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:44:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Geoff Galitz <geoff at galitz.org> wrote:

>>> All I know is at the last two companies I worked at - AT&T, a small team
>>> building software for the NOC, a smaller root CA, and here at the federal
>>> agency I'm at, we either turned it off, or have it set to permissive.
>>
>> I disabled it on the last 1000 hosts *I* installed....
>

> Hmmm... it would be interesting take some Centos systems with production
> like deployments (say 3 with SELinux and 3 without) and ask a professional
> pen-tester to try to get into them.
>
> Anyone willing to contribute funds (or time) to such a study?  It would be
> educational experience and good PR, at the least.

Oh, I know the holes and which would be straightforward to get to.
There's generally enough lower hanging fruit with NFS stored
passwords, email with passwords, and poorly managed elevation via SSH
keys as policies before I even got there that this protection is like
putting a bike lock on a jello mold.