[CentOS] centos 5.5 - using mp3

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 1 19:11:50 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:04:58 am Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Kindly please a step x step manner in which to accomplish to enable mp3
> please.

The Fluendo MP3 decode plugin for gstreamer is no-cost, and is fully licensed for MP3 playback.  It should work for any gstreamer-enabled player.  It's license is non-free, so if that's a problem.....

Since most of my CentOS boxes are servers, and those CentOS workstations I do have don't have or use sound, I haven't tested the Fluendo MP3 plugin on CentOS, but the RPM installs fine on a box here.

I purchased and use the Fluendo codec pack here, since even though I'm the one responsible for the licensing and patent compliance audits, fudging the rules just seems wrong for me, and comes across as hypocritical when I catch someone else fudging on licensing of software.  Same with DVD playback; the Fluendo player, while spartan, is fully legal to use watching encrypted DVD content on Linux.

While the MP3 playback plugin is no cost, the full codec pack and the DVD player do have a price, much like the same things on Windows, although I sure wish I could convert all those PowerDVD licenses I got with DVD drives from Windows to Linux for no cost, but, oh well.