[CentOS] 1 Gbit/s Ethernet NIC under CentOS

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Wed Dec 1 22:30:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Christopher Chan wrote:

> On Thursday, December 02, 2010 03:28 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>
>>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>>> internal design glitch.
>>
>> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
>> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.
>
> Please take note that some Intel 1G nics do not have jumbo frame support
> at all. So you won't have issues with jumbo frames either way. The
> question is whether there is jumbo frame support.

The Intel NICs that I mentioned, 82576 and 82571EB, are both in use in
DRBD replication links with an MTU of 9000. We usually configure each such
link as a point-to-point bonding pair (balance-rr), and get 1.95 Gb/s
throughput with iperf, and about 165 MB/sec with drbd (but of course the
latter is disk dependent). CentOS 5.5, x86_64, Dell PE2900 servers. Solid.

Steve