[CentOS] XFS or EXT3 ?

Keith Roberts

keith at karsites.net
Fri Dec 3 12:55:28 UTC 2010

There was a similar thread about which is the best FS for
Centos.

I'm using ext3, and wondered if XFS would be more 'data
safe' than ext3.

I had a 100GiB ext3 partition, and it took up 1.75GiB for FS
administration purposes. I reformatted it to XFS, and it
only used 50.8MB!

I now have a fresh new drive to install my root Centos
system onto, and wondered about creating the partitions
as XFS?

What about the XFS admin tools - do these get installed when
you format a partition as XFS from anaconda, or are they a
seperate rpm package, installed later?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.