[CentOS] Deduplicated archives via hardlinks [Was: XFS or EXT3 ?]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 23:15:27 UTC 2010

On 12/3/2010 5:03 PM, Frank Cox wrote:

>> You should probably ask this on the backuppc list.   But note that the
>> performance issue is not using backuppc itself, it is only a problem
>> when you try to copy the whole archive by some file-oriented method.
>
> I don't use backuppc myself but I'm curious:  what is the preferred method for
> copying the archive from one fileserver to another?

Unmount it and image-copy the partition or whole drive.  I use
raid-mirroring because then you only have to unmount for the time it
takes to fail the partition out of the raid, but realistically you
aren't going to get much else done on that partition for the time it is
copying because the head is going to keep jumping back to the place it
is trying to copy.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com