[CentOS] linux boot process (was# chkconfig: kill at run level 3)

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Sat Dec 4 20:44:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 03:41:45 +0000 (UTC)
"Michael D. Berger" <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:58:10 +0000, Cia Watson wrote:
> [...]
>  04 Dec 2010 15:25:47 +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
> >>
> [...]
> >
> > I'm not a boot-loader expert, but CentOS uses grub and the first
> > thing I notice about the attached article is that it talks about
> > LILO. From what I've gathered LILO is a different animal than grub,
> > so as far as the documentation is specific to lilo processes, I'd
> > say no it wouldn't be correct for CentOS.
> >
> > However since the 'li' part of lilo stands for linux, then it may
> > be a good general reference. But some of those more expert in the
> > differences two will probably chime in at some point.
>
> So where can I find a good description of how grub works in RedHat?

Here's some links I found doing a general search for grub redhat:

http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/03/21/using-grub-to-overcome-boot-problems/

http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/grubrestore

General info:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

This one talks about boot floppies, so it's obviously a little old :-/
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622