[CentOS] linux boot process (was# chkconfig: kill at run level 3)

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Dec 5 06:20:30 UTC 2010

> I'm not a boot-loader expert, but CentOS uses grub and the first thing
> I notice about the attached article is that it talks about LILO. From
> what I've gathered LILO is a different animal than grub, so as far as
> the documentation is specific to lilo processes, I'd say no it wouldn't
> be correct for CentOS.
>
> However since the 'li' part of lilo stands for linux, then it may be a
> good general reference. But some of those more expert in the
> differences two will probably chime in at some point.

for the sake of anyone reading this thread in the future...

LILO was the old linux loader.  it was used in the original Red Hat
Linux until about 7.2.

GRUB is more powerful, more flexible, supports more/newer hardware, and
newer/larger file systems, etc etc.  All RHEL/CentOS systems have used grub.

Lilo requires boot information to be updated in the MBR each time
anything changed.    grub can read the grub.conf file in the /boot file
system so there's no need to update it when you edit the file.