[CentOS] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Sun Dec 5 13:13:56 UTC 2010

On 12/05/10 12:50, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Seeing as IPV4 is near it's end of life
> (http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3915471/IPv4+Nearing+Final+Days.htm),
> I'm curios as who know whether everyone is ready for the changeover to
> IPV6?
>
> Is anyone using it in production already, and what are your experiences with it?

Haven't switched yet, I have IPv6 at home using sixxs.

IMO the slow adoption is caused by the complexity IPv6 brings. They should have just modified IP to use 128 bits addresses and leave the rest as is. For example, what is the use of a link scoped IPv6 address? Why would you want to assign an IP address to yourself that's of no use at all? I can't even figure out what address ranges are reserved for private use, is there even such a concept in IPv6? I know that IPv6 is supposed to allow every address to be publicly route-able but having your computers in private ranges and use NAT has big advantages towards security. And what about this arbitrarily chosen /64 subnet? So we're returning back to classfull routing? A provider won't be able to purchase a subnet greater than /64 from for example RIPE? Stateless auto-configuration is a useless feature, just like APIPA. I much prefer DHCP and thankfully it still exists for v6.

Glenn