[CentOS] # chkconfig: kill at run level 3

Brunner, Brian T. BBrunner at gai-tronics.com
Mon Dec 6 16:38:49 UTC 2010

The number after the S and K determine the order in which they're run.
S01 starts things which S02-S99 might require; S02 might depend on S01
and provide service the S03-S99 stuff requires.  And, so on.
The K scripts *generally* follow the reverse order on the logic that
nothing is shut down while something else might require it.  Therefore a
service with S01 has K99, what is S02 has K98, and so on.

I'd (personally) guess at the Wild Blue that your Kxx kill script has a
high enough number that it's shutting your app down after something else
has been shut down, on which your app depends, without which your app
throws an exception.  That's why (guess based on previous guess) if you
kill your app then shut down, everything is happy.

General Rule of Thumb:
Sxx -> K(100-xx)