[CentOS] ntfs

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Dec 6 16:50:42 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 05, 2010 04:29:47 pm Niki Kovacs wrote:
> I've been following this thread, and I'm wondering: why bother with NTFS
> in the first place?

It's also useful for MAC OS X and Linux data interchange.  While there is a ext2 module for OS X, and there is HFS+ filesystem support for Linux, both have some issues (HFS+ on Linux; try creating a large tree of small files on HFS+, then delete said tree, and watch the kernel unmount your HFS+ filesystem in a corrupted manner; ext2 FUSE on OS X has some similar issues, but FUSE-NTFS support on both OS's is pretty solid).  Usernames and permissions successful transit an NTFS filesystem, as well.

FAT is good when ownership doesn't matter, or files smaller than 4GB are used (making it less than ideal for my use, which is a shared vmware partition between VMware Workstation on linux and VMware Fusion on OS X).