[CentOS] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:35:57 UTC 2010

On 6 December 2010 15:40, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:27 AM, David Sommerseth
> <dazo at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

Using ipv6 at home on CentOS 5.5, winXP and OpenBSD -current.
Both ethernet and wifi.
Have a /48 from my UK isp - Andrew's and Arnold (AAISP) giving native
ipv6 over DSL.
It works really well but that is because i am using  a Cisco 877 on
the IOS 15 with advipservices train so i still have an SPI firewall
(as well as ipv6 ACLs).

I think part of the main problem with uptake is the lack of
residential DSL routers supporting it.

At the moment i have lower latency to ipv6 sites than ipv4!

Was very easy to implement it, just switched it on in the confs of the
various boxen, told the router to do RA.
I like the /64 with EUI for the clients and more rememberable
addresses for services.
I also like the (glacial) length of time it would take someone to try
and scan my address space - *way more* than scanning my /24 ipv4
address space :)

mike