[CentOS] http request, which command is good for testing

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Dec 6 19:33:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000 at yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
>> Which command is good for http testing?
>
> links
> lynx
> telnet
> wget
> etc

I like curl because it defaults to printing to standard output. (You
can do it with wget too, of course, it's just not standard behavior.)
The trick is that curl has just slightly fewer than 1,000 command-line
options to learn. :-) My favorite is -I (--head), which tells curl to
grab only the HTTP headers.

"elinks -dump 1 -dump-width 72 -no-references -no-numbering" can be
immensely useful.

The wrapper scripts (GET, HEAD, POST) installed with the
perl-libwww-perl package can be used both on their own and as nice
examples of web programming with Perl.