[CentOS] ntfs

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Dec 6 20:58:39 UTC 2010

On Monday, December 06, 2010 03:50:49 pm Les Mikesell wrote:
> But you could easily run Linux under Virtualbox or vmware. While still running OS X.

I'd rather not do that, as performance does suffer to a degree, and Linux is my primary environment, not my secondary one.  Further, you then add a layer of complexity with VMware tools and kernel updates and recompiling (assuming the VMware tools will even recompile on the latest Fedora kernel..).... no thank you.  I much prefer to keep my primary environment as Linux and boot into OS X when I need to do audio production.  I rarely do 'normal' things when I'm doing audio production anyway, so it works for me quite well, and I get full native performance under Linux for the things I do there (which includes GNUradio with a USRP, which doesn't work well in a VM, partly because VMware and accurate timekeeping are at odds with each other).

> I thought VMware (maybe virtualbox too) had a built-in way to share files from
> the host.  In any case you can do network samba/nfs shares that the VM's can see
> just like you would if they were physical machines or on a different host.

Yes; that's HGFS, and it works ok, but has its quirks.

That doesn't help in terms of the storage where the vmdk disk images are located.