[CentOS] Coolkey and esc and "SmartCard"s, oh, my

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Mon Dec 6 21:44:48 UTC 2010

What's happening: I put my "SmartCard" in the reader, and the Coolkey
phone home window pops up. I close it, and the SmartCard manager window
pops up, saying it's not initialized.

Neither of these should be happening with these cards (US federal gov't
issue, not DoD).

Googling, I find <https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2010-0068.html>, and
in that, it says (in part):
Excerpt:
* the Red Hat Enterprise Security Client (ESC) incorrectly identified CAC
cards as CoolKey cards, and mistakenly opened the Phone Home dialog after
doing so. With this update, CoolKey correctly identifies CAC cards and
assigns the correct functionality to them.

With this fix, it is still possible to view certificates and diagnostics
for CAC cards, though the management functions are now disabled. Finally,
note that the RHBA-2010:0066 esc update must be installed in order to fully
resolve this issue. (BZ#499976)
--- end excerpt ---

It appears to be bug: 226790.

So, it sounds *exactly* like what's happening to me... except it's not
fixed. Note also the reference to the esc update. a) it refers to
1.1.0.12.el5 of esc, and I have 1.1.0.12.el5, and I find and go to
<https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2010-0066.html> which says this file
is outdated, and b) this link is *wrong* - it reads
File outdated by:  RHSA-2010:0501, which has nothing to do with esc, but
is a firefox critical fix.

Anyone have any experience with this? This card should *never* be calling
home....

           mark