[CentOS] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 01:26:36 UTC 2010

On 12/6/10 6:27 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> You are enjoying a side-effect of NAT by thinking it
> is a firewall.

The other nice side-effect of NAT is that you get an effectively infinite number
of addresses behind it without any pre-arrangement with anyone else.  Even if
ISPs hand out what they expect to reasonably-sized blocks, won't it be much
harder to deal with when you outgrow your allotment?  We've had the opportunity
to move to ipv6 for ages but we haven't (in the US, anyway).  I think the reason
is that most people like the way NAT works and don't really want a public
address on every device.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com