[CentOS] difference between cron and shell invocation.

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Dec 7 15:21:27 UTC 2010

Question.  In a chained cron job like this:

sshfs  .  .  . && /usr/bin/rsync .  .  . | /bin/mail -s .  .  . && .
 .  .

Is there anyway to get a failure message from the first part to be
emailed or logged?

Given the resolution of this problem I gather that sshfs must not
have been found and therefore I would expect an error to be reported
somewhere.  The chained commands evidently interfered with the
propagation of this error which would have immediately identified
the source of the problem. Is it possible to get errors from the
individual parts of such chained commands forwarded to an email
address, or logged in the system log, or both?

Canada  L8E 3C3