[CentOS] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Wed Dec 8 09:10:00 UTC 2010

On 8/12/10 2:37 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 03:11 AM, Ben McGinnes wrote:
>
> Thanks Ben, you just gave me another thing to coo about that I had
> forgotten. What quotas? :-p

Damn you, damn you to Heck.  :)

>> The even more horrendous problem, which is so pervasive it affects
>> everyone, is the insistence on asymmetric connections.  Even when
>> Australia does get this fabled fibre-to-the-home, it still won't be
>> symmetric.  *sigh*
>
> Fibre connections that are not symmetric...sure going out of the way
> that.

Kind of.  The spec they're using (I've forgotten which one it is)
supports a 2:1 ratio, I think the current maximum is supposed to be
around 2.5Gb/s download and 1.25Gb/s upload.  The plans being offered
by the wholesaler (NBN Co.) to ISPs for resale are currently 25Mb/2Mb,
50Mb/4Mb and 100Mb/8Mb.  I don't know how they expect to encourage
local content like that, let alone local innovation, but that's what
they're doing.

Anyway, I've been drooling over the sort of connections that are only
available in the corporate world here and in more civilised parts of
the world for a long time.  I don't really expect that to change now.

Regards,
Ben