[CentOS] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 8 15:41:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 09:37 -0600, David G. Mackay wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 10:01 +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
> > Nope, ARP is gone.  But it gets a replacement as a part of IPv6, instead
> > of ARP being an addition to IPv4.
> > <http://itkia.com/how-to-arp-a-in-ipv6/>
> > <http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_TCPIPIPv6NeighborDiscoveryProtocolND.htm>
> I have a question about how IPV6 interacts with the switches in the
> local network.  Right now, my sub $50(US) gigabit switch from any of
> several vendors keeps an arp table to determine which switch port a
> message will use.  With the huge address space available with IPV6, how
> is that going to work, and when am I going to get a cheap soho switch
> that can handle IPV6?

The switch will continue to operate using the MAC# of the client
interfaces.  The switch doesn't care about IPv4, IPv6, or IPX for that
matter [unless you enabled vLANs or managment features - which is a
different issue].

The switch does not maintain an "arp table".  It maintains a list of
MAC#s it has seen on each port.