[CentOS] Nerd rage (Was: IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?)

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 8 15:57:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 07:46 -0800, Jerry Franz wrote:
> On 12/08/2010 07:03 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > Honestly, I had no one in mind.
> > I remember in an effort to get a life outside tech, I joined a mailing
> > list for something else.  I hadn't realized how most people top post,
> > don't trim, and still use aol.
> It really is worth noting that the bottom-post convention used on many
> technical lists *is not* how most of the planet now does email or other
> electronic communications. The rage we see here over it is really just
> another technical 'religious war' by people who don't tolerate change
> well. In reality, it doesn't matter much for most things either way and
> far more harm is done by the howling over it than using either
> convention actually causes.

Ok, well then you call be religiously intolerant.  I care; for what I
sincerely believe to be very *practical* reasons.  Top-Post messages are
often quite confusing;  they often respond to one point in a longer
message - and you don't have any idea which one.  And the don't
encourage trimming which makes reading a message resulting from a thread
really bad.

I use e-mail, especially archives, to research problems and issues - so
readability matters.

Trust me [which of course you won't seeing as you already dismissed my
point of view] but it *REALLY MATTERS* when going back and reading
e-mail how the poster(s) managed the message's contents.