[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 8 16:00:04 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:28:38 am L A Hurst wrote:
> From: Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>
> >Alright, pray tell how I, a desktop Linux user, can, without VM's and
> >without having to switch users, protect my files from a PDF attack
> >through Adobe Reader?
>
> Backups.

I looked in vain for a smiley, and found none.....

Backups aren't going to protect from a PDF exploit or web bug *reading* possibly sensitive data and sending it to an identity thief.  This attack vector is becoming rather common on other OS's, and I wouldn't be surprised if it became more common on Linux as Linux gets more rich SaaS client support.

And unless I'm obsessive with watching my rsync logs (which, actually, I am) I'm not going to see a modified file, either, until I need it, which for some files might be past the retention time for even an annual backup.