[CentOS] [OT]Asymmetric connections

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Dec 9 14:59:57 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 06:00:58 am Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:11 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Or would you prefer paying kilobucks per month for a tariffed OC3/12/48 or Gigabit provisioned Metro E?  (that's all I can get, and it does cost kilobucks to get it).
>
> Is this residential?

No.  This is committed full rate non-oversubscribed dedicated symmetric bandwidth guaranteed to the provider's upstream handoff at the AS border (and the provider has multiple 10G links).  I'm running right now on a 1000Base-LX/LH transport from a Cisco 12008 router to the ISP, where I've purchased X Mb/s of connectivity across their SONET backbone to their core, and through their core to their upstream(s).  Up until April I had a T1 over fiber for backup and a protected OC-3; I cut my costs by a factor of ten going Metro-E, thanks to the tariff the OC-3 was under.

Also, I'm about 19 kilofeet by fiber from the remote office/SLIC, and about 20 miles from the CO in the nearest town; while I could have lit a ZX link if I had needed to, it was nice that I was within 10km of the EoSONET bridge at the remote office.

Yeah, the boonies.  I'm the only fiber customer this far out on this system; we have six fibers, two of which are currently lit.  We have 75 strand-miles of fiber on-campus, some of which I'm lighting with 1550nm waves due to high attenuation (old fiber).  And I'm using surplus CATV supertrunk equipment to do it; fun stuff to work with.