[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Dec 9 22:30:07 UTC 2010

On 12/9/2010 2:05 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Also, Apple dictates style; to a lesser degree, so does M$. There's no
> dictated style guide for Linux.

That's outdated thinking.  Apple's acquired some infamy among its fanboy
base for violating their old style guidelines, which AFAIR were last
updated back in the OS 9 days.  OS X followed these rules early on, but
probably more out of inertia than requirement from the top.  These days,
Apple's UI design changes regularly.

The website -> widget -> mobile app progression accelerated this trend.
  Apple's users have come to accept that each app can be a world unto
itself.

I'd accept an argument that Apple dictates fashion, in the same sort of
way Vogue or GQ does.  As with any fashion, it changes with the seasons.

Another argument I'd accept is that Apple has /taste/.  They have it in
greater degree than all but a few of their competitors, but it should be
realized that it is also changeable.

Observe Apple's nadir while The Steve was exiled.  40^W12 years of
wandering in the Silicon Valley desert later, he returned, and Apple's
design aesthetic improved greatly.  Not up from zero, mind; the famous
Jony Ive was at Apple before the return of The Steve.  When Steve leaves
again, Apple's sense of taste won't disappear, as it did not before, but
it will change again.

To drag this back on topic, it's true that a Red Hat or Ubuntu could
decide to become more draconian about this, and start refusing to
include apps in their distro that violate some arbitrary set of style
rules.  They're in a better position to enforce this than either Apple
or Microsoft, since most of the software the average Linux user uses
comes with the distro than comes with a typical Windows or Mac box.

I believe there are efforts toward this, but a lot of the basics are
still being overlooked: Enter doesn't always select the default action
in a dialog box, there's still disagreement on the "quit program"
keyboard shortcut, we still have at least 3 different clipboard-like
mechanisms that don't interoperate, etc.