[CentOS] sudo doing DNS lookup

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Fri Dec 10 14:35:32 UTC 2010

On 12/10/2010 09:04 AM, John Doe wrote:
> From: Steve Clark<sclark at netwolves.com>
>
>> I have a confusing problem. I have two centos 5,5 boxes. Both have
>> sudo.i386                                1.7.2p1-9.el5_5
>>
> installed
>
>> I am using the same sudoers file, but the one on box A keeps trying to do DNS
>> lookups
>> while the one on box B does not. How do I disable this DNS lookup?
>>
> Do you have fqdn in sudoers?

No, thats the crazy part. I don't have that enabled and it still does the
DNS lookup. I tried turning it on to see what would happen and the
only thing different was it spit out:
$ sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf
sudo: unable to resolve host Z7070.netwolves.com
Vim: Caught deadly signal TERM

Vim: Finished.
Terminated

I finally killed it from another terminal cause it was taking so long.

Without the:
Defaults fqdn
it hangs for a long time, this is when I don't have connection to the net,
if I have connection there is just a slight pause while tries to do the DNS
lookup.

> man sudoers:
> "Beware that turning on fqdn requires sudo to make DNS
>   lookups which may make sudo unusable if DNS stops
>   working"
>
> JD

Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*