[CentOS] /bin/env

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Dec 10 19:20:12 UTC 2010

Please forgive my ignorance but I need a explanation of how to
accomplish the following since I cannot figure it out from the
documents.

I have a Ruby script with a shebang line that looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

On one particular host I have two Ruby interpreters installed; one
the CentOS base version 1.8.6 in /usr/bin/ruby the other version
1.8.7 in /usr/local/bin/ruby.  In my shell the which command finds
/usr/local/bin/ruby.  In a cron job the /usr/bin/ruby is used by the
/bin/env invocation.

My question is: How does one configure /bin/env to return the
/usr/local/bin/ruby version?  or does that question even make sense?

I have looked at the alternatives command but that seems just a tad
involved.  And since this is a production server I am not quite
ready to trust to RVM either.

In the short term I have simply removed the CentOS version which has
resolved the immediate issue.  However, I would like to know how to
handle this a little more elegantly in future.

Canada  L8E 3C3