[CentOS] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sat Dec 11 16:38:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/10 8:15 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> If you use any NAS (or a SAN) devices, what do you use? And I'm
>> referring more to larger scale network storage than your home PC or
>> home theater system.
>>
>> We've had very good experiences with our NetGear ReadyNAS devices but
>> I'm in the market for something new. The NetGear's aren't the cheapest
>> ones around but they do what it says on the box. My only real gripe
>> with them is the lack of decent scalability.
>
> see, I'd consider ReadyNAS to be SOHO, just what you said you didn't want.
>

>> I'm now looking for something that could scale beyond 100TB on one
>> device (not necessarily one unit though) and find it frustrating that
>> most NAS's come in 1U or 2U at most.
>>
>> Maybe I'm just not shopping around enough, or maybe I prefer to well
>> known brands, I don't know.
>
> the big boys in NAS are Network Appliance aka Netapp.  they will scale
> as large as your budget allows.  The FAS6200 line scales to something
> like 1400 drives and redundant HA controllers.

Yes, I know. But the problem I have with NetApp is that it's not build
for a smaller market. i.e. a client looking to start small and scale
as he needs, and can afford to.

The NetGear's allow exactly just that. One can start small and grow as
needed. There's no need to over budget or over spend. Often a client
only needs about 5 to 12 TB storage, but with high availability. I
suppose the redundant PSU's do help a bit with that, and both TheCus
and ReadyNAS can be setup in high availability with 2 devices.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com