[CentOS] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

Rafa Grimán rafagriman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:14:01 UTC 2010

On Saturday 11 December 2010 18:37 John R Pierce wrote
> On 12/11/10 9:29 AM, Rafa Grimán wrote:
> > What about a DIY NAS with an off the shelf server and storage array?
>
> and how do you avoid single-point-of-failure?    if that COTS goes down,
> your storage is offline, and you've lost any writes in progress.
>
> enterprise storage has fully redundant *everything*, a dual filer HA
> NetApp box will not even blink if any subsystem fails.    cached write
> data is mirrored in both controllers so if one controller croaks, the
> other can flush the buffers for it, and client storage connections
> continue without a hiccup.    yes, you pay for this.

As I said a bit further down in my previous e-mail: you can use GPFS, CXFS,
GFS as its filesystem and have redundant hardware.

If you want to get a better idea, check out SONAS from IBM. It's basically
GPFS + Samba and redundant HW. You get HA, high performance, modularity and
flexibility. You can also check out:

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/006apr05/features/gfs/

If you don't want to shell out what IBM is going to charge you, you can DIY
(if you have the knowledge) or you can hire some Linux consultant that has a
good Linux knowledge.

HTH

   Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

Happily using KDE 4.5.1 :)