[CentOS] "ultimate" backup choice

David Sommerseth dazo at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 11 23:10:08 UTC 2010

On 11/12/10 13:17, S Mathias wrote:
> i have:
> "SERVER A"
> "SERVER B"
>
> with "full root permisson" [ssh, etc]
>
> each server has a folder.
>
> i want to backup a folder in "SERVER A".
>
> are there any backup methods, that meets these two requirements? :
>

> 1) running from e.g.: a cronjob
>
> 2) when running, it just checks the folder in "SERVER A" and "SERVER B".
> if a file/folder has been added/removed/modified in the "SERVER A"'s
> folder, then it copies/removes it/them to "SERVER B"'s folder.

I've been running BoxBackup on several servers and is quite satisfied.  Good
security and works flawlessly.  I'm mostly running them in "lazy mode", which
means the backup daemon picks up changed files after a while and sends them to
the backup server.  All backup clients uses SSL certificate so all data is
transferred and stored encrypted on the server as well.

In addition to a neat simple "manual soft RAID" solution, where data can be
spread over three directories.  I'm in the process now of setting up rsync of
these directories to separate storages outside the building.  As if one of
these directories are "lost" or stolen, the data makes no sense unless you get
a copy of another directory to build up the third directory.  And considered
each backup client uses separate encryption keys, the security is still good.

http://www.boxbackup.org/

The only disadvantage I've found is that the restore features can be a bit
cumbersome, and dates on directories are not preserved so well.  Windows
client support exists, but if you have files bigger than 2GB, they need to be
restored on a Linux box.

So nothing big and amazing, but slightly more advanced than rsync and simpler
than Bacula or Amanda backup.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth