[CentOS] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Dec 12 07:56:23 UTC 2010

> IBM sells some nice one rack units as well.

speaking of.    anyone have any experience with the IBM DS3500 storage?

I've been considering the DS3500 for my dev lab storage.   These come
24x2.5" (or 12x3.5") SAS 2U boxes with redundant storage controllers
that have 2x2 SAS host ports and either 2x4 gigE iscsi or 2x4gb FC
ports.   you get to pay extra for more host partitions and stuff.   they
are basically rebranded LSI/Engenio 2600 and come in both 12x3.5" or
24x2.5" 2U SAS chassis... there's also SAS expansion ports you can add
several additional storage bays to.

I have zero (0) experience with IBM branded storage.    I do have a IBM
Bladecenter and Power 520 AIX server in my lab, so I'm not all together
unfamiliar with IBM.