[CentOS] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun Dec 12 15:44:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:07 PM, William Warren
<hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/2010 11:15 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> If you use any NAS (or a SAN) devices, what do you use? And I'm
>> referring more to larger scale network storage than your home PC or
>> home theater system.
>>
>> We've had very good experiences with our NetGear ReadyNAS devices but
>> I'm in the market for something new. The NetGear's aren't the cheapest
>> ones around but they do what it says on the box. My only real gripe
>> with them is the lack of decent scalability.
>>
>> TheCus devices seems to be rather powerful as well, and you can stack
>> upto 5 units together. But that's where the line stops.
>>
>> I'm now looking for something that could scale beyond 100TB on one
>> device (not necessarily one unit though) and find it frustrating that
>> most NAS's come in 1U or 2U at most.
>>
>> Maybe I'm just not shopping around enough, or maybe I prefer to well
>> known brands, I don't know.
>>

>> So, what do you use?
>> How well does it work for you?
>> And, how reliable / fast / scalable is it?
>>
> Two things:
> QNAP
> coraid
>
> coraid is in the Linux Kernel(don't know about Cent 5 though) but you
> can also look into them directly as well..:)

It may just be due to the limited suppliers we have with these devices
in South Africa, but I found the TheCus devices to perform better than
the QNAP's that I could get hold off. I'm still looking for a Coraid
supplier....

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers