[CentOS] Issues with CentOS in enterprise

Negative negativebinomial at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 17:49:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> wrote:
>

> > Hello all.
> >
> > Does anybody have experience with pushing CentOS in enterprise?
> >
> > I have the following situation. I tried to promote CentOS to local bank.
> They have now a couple of Gentoo-based systems and I tried to explain them
> that CentOS is much better option for enterprises.
> >
> > IT department is interested in stability of the system, so they are ready
> to give CentOS a try. But the problem came from management and information
> security division.
> >
> > That guys look much affected by FUD created by M$. They tell the story
> like "you can not rely on this open source, it is built by just few
> community geeks, you never know what will happen if the developer will be
> hit by bus tomorrow" and so on. They especially refer to the last year FUD
> story published at ZDNet (http://goo.gl/y0LBi). So, IT guys are allowed to
> use open source only if they can prove that it has stable community and
> transparent development and build process they can reproduce on their own if
> necessary.
> >
> > I guess, I'm not the first who encounter this issue. Could you share your
> experience how to deal with it? Are there any public resources that can be
> used as proofs of CentOS stability?
> >

> Have you pointed the bank people at Red Hat itself.  Red Hat is NOT a
> 'few community geeks' -- they are a thriving business.  Also, you
> probably can mention that IBM support Linux.  IBM is most certainly NOT
> a 'few community geeks'...
>

> > --
> >
> > Zdenek

> --
> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com
> Deepwoods Software        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   -- against proprietary attachments

Management types like numbers. Here's a Cnet article that gives you the
breakdown of who contributes to Linux:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-20024219-62.html

That article, in turn, refers to a Forbes piece on Red Hat and open source
in general:

http://blogs.forbes.com/ciocentral/2010/11/30/red-hat-at-1-billion/