[CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Dec 12 18:46:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 05:48:36PM +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I'm on Centos 5.5, and would like to use sox to strip out
> any periods of silence > 5 seconds from a batch mp3 audio
> files.

ffmpeg can do this.
Assuming it's the first 5 seconds (as an example), syntax would be

ffmpeg -i longerfile.mp3 -ss 5 -t 300 newfile.mp3

on a 300 second mp3.  In other words, the -ss is the start time and the
-t is the duration of time you want to keep.  So, that will give you all
but the first 5 seconds of the file.

You would have to know the duration of each file.

You might also want to use the -sameq argument as well, which will keep
the new file at the same quality as the old one.

ffmpeg -i  longerfile.mp3 -ss 5 -t 300 -sameq newfile.mp3

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: We were just discussing whether or not we should
offer to pay Gunn.
Angel: No you weren't.
Wesley: Well, our discussions tend to go about 3 minutes, then it's
strictly name calling and hair pulling.